Monday, August 4, 2008

Hey all! so i am now in thailand! its very exciting ahah! I got into bangkok at about 10:30 and finally left passport control/customs at around 11:00. i was incredibly nervuos to see my host family, but when i met them they were so nice. After a tearful call to my dad, they all gave me hugs, and gave me a stuffed elephant with a wreath of the most beatiful smelling flowers hanging around its trunk.

We exchanged my money, got in the car and headed home. It was so muggy in bangkok i was so grateful for the AC haha. there must have been 10 7-11's on the highway from bangkok to korat. they have advertisements for a "fresh salad" which is salad greens, some sort of dressing and a hotdog cut into slices on top. i thought that was pretty funny. i slept the whole way home, all day the next day and all night. My host dad (koon pa) woke me up to have a bit of dinner at around nine, but i was only awake for about a half hour.

The next day i woke up, and my host mom (koon ma) drove me to see my school, and then i went with her and koon pa to a conference. they are both university instructors and they also work or the government. I think that they evaluate the curriculum or something, im not entirely sure. then we went for lunch at a noodle house. after that i met up with kittisak who is my rotary counsellor and constance the girl who is here from PEI and we went to open a bank account.

after that we went to see my school again, but this time we got to take a quick look around. it looks like a university except smaller. there are different buildings for all different studies, home ec, sports, flower arranging (yes. flower arranging).

Afterwards i came home and tried to take a nap but it wasnt happening haha, it was way too hot. we went out for dinner at a place in dowtown, i have no idea what it was called. we ordered a few dishes and some of them were spicey, some of them were not (thankfully) but they were all amazing. there was a guy playing english songs on the guitar. like the really good ones haha, desperado, unwell, home. they made me a bit homesick.

i was still exhausted from jet lag so when we got home i went straight to bed.

So far thailand is very interesting. the smells are funny, lots of times it doesnt smell like anything. but then every once in a while you'll get a whiff of manure, or dogs or some sort of delcious food.

i do miss home though.. im having a great time but i am homesick. im sure this will pass though.

love you all to bits,
Ashley.

1 comment:

Maeghan said...

Congrats on making it to Thailand!
It sounds like your host parents are really nice and like you're having a good time. Good luck over the next few weeks, and I can't wait to read more.